Monday, April 11, 2011

Malaysia 1976 10 Sen Missing Obverse Error


***This Error 10 sen coin dated 1976 must be one collectible that has been in my possession for the longest time - at least 30 years now, if not more.
As a school-boy, I found this coin in some loose change and I was very excited, then, to have come across this freak coin, whereby its Obverse is missing or almost missing. I would grade this coin as Good EF to AU & it still retains its original patina on the Reverse.

It's amazing that this coin is still with me after all these donkey years considering the number of times that I have moved house & during the brief period that I was in Europe.

And obviously, unlike the current Bunga Raya series, this 1976 coin is definitely an unassisted pure mint error, & and which is further emphasised by the presence of the light silhouette of the actual missing design, a typical feature I am told for such an error.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking at it,it resembles a uniface error coin.Uniface coins occur when there have been two blank planchets went in the press at the same time. The other blank will obstruct the die on either the obverse or reverse side, which will prevent it from having that design on the coin.

malayastraitsbanknotes said...

Thanks for the info. I didn't know this error was caused by 2 blanks in the striking chamber. That means 2 error coins must have been produced with that srtike.

Another error coin that I managed to get in my pocket was a 2007 10sen with a dramatic DDR error. Unfortunately, I sold it on eBay US more than a year back.